Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Preparing for a Journey

Two weeks from now I will be sitting on a plane, leaving the United States for the next four months of my life. I'll be spending a semester studying abroad in Florence, Italy. 

You should know that
  1. I don't speak Italian (yet),
  2. I've never flown by myself, let alone to a foreign country, where I'll be changing planes at the massive Frankfurt airport, and
  3. I don't know anyone else that is going. (Three other girls from Truman will be there, but no one I really know.)
I am, however, extremely excited for this opportunity. I'll be living in an apartment with other students and taking classes (taught in English) in Italian food, language, architecture, literature, and yes, even jewelry making. I am a business major, so no, I don't need any of these classes (which all will count as elective credits) to graduate, but I am thrilled at the opportunity to live and learn in a foreign country.

I won't be able to use my cell phone to call the states, so I plan on contacting friends/family back home via Facebook, this blog, and Skype. My Skype name is: katie.sommerer

I titled my blog La vita è bella, "Life is Beautiful". The Italian film Life is Beautiful is my favorite movie of all time. It's definitely worth having to read subtitles and I highly recommend watching it if you haven't yet.

Well, it's time for me to make a trip to town for some of the things I'll need. (electric adapters, a dual voltage hair dryer, etc.) I hope you'll all continue to check on my blog, and I'll try to keep it updated (including pictures) once I get to Florence.

Ciao!


4 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!!!! I'm proud and excited!! Can't wait to follow you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooo.... Are you there yet? Is it all Roman and stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell us if you find these to be true.
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/3BPIKC/www.italyinsf.com/100-things-to-know-if-youre-going-to-italy/

    ReplyDelete