Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mercato Centrale :)

I love grocery shopping at Florence's Mercato Centrale (Central Market). I went there today with Meghan to pick up some groceries and I realized it might just be my favorite place in Florence. (Or one of them.) I'll try to take some pictures next time I go so you can see what I mean.

Not only is it (usually) cheaper than the grocery stores, but also it's fresher. And more intimate. You get to buy bread from the lady that actually makes the bread. You get to walk around and look for who has the prettiest or the cheapest or the ripest tomatoes for sale, and tell them how many you want and pay them directly. You can sample different kinds of cheese, which you can buy from the men who actually make the cheese. And everything seems so much more authentic. I love it.

Today for lunch I bought a sandwich and a cookie from the bread-baking lady. I wish I would have taken a picture before I devoured it. It was so cute.

Anyway, the weather has continued to be beautiful. I hope it lasts through the weekend! Saturday we are planning a little trip to Fiesole (20 minutes by bus from Florence).

I also need to take this FINISHED wax pendant to the casting guy!


Front

Back with Hollowed-Out Handle
If you're wondering, it's about 2 and a half inches long. Maybe. I'm really bad at guessing lengths.

I think I'm going to get it cast in bronze instead of silver. Our teacher said silver's at like an all time high price. It's still going to be about 10 euro in bronze, which is less than a third of the price in silver.

On a completely unrelated note, I have started watching Scrubs. I am three episodes into the first season. I've laughed out loud a million times already. I love it!

Next post will be about tomorrow's food class. We're making:

Spaghetti alla Chitarra con Vongole e Pescatrice, and
Millefoglie ai Frutti di Bosco

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment