Friday, February 4, 2011

Fiera del Cioccolato? Yes, Please!

I started the morning off with a trip to the bookstore to buy my textbooks. I google mapped it, wrote out directions, and thought I knew where I was going. For any normal human with a mediocre sense of direction, it would have been about a 5 minute walk. It took me about an hour. I was going up and down the same streets and just couldn't seem to find it! The buildings in Florence are a little confusing. The red numbers are businesses and the black numbers are residences. I knew that, but I just couldn't find what I was looking for. The numbers skip around, or something. Anyway, after that excursion, and spending way too much on spiral notebooks and folders (I have an obsession with school supplies), I got myself organized for all of my classes.

Meghan got up around noon and we went for a run along the Arno River. It was a gorgeous day, sunny and in the mid 60s! I can't say I'm homesick for Missouri weather, yet. When we got back, I made a baked potato, chicken, and peas for lunch. Then it was time for some real fun.

Well, I had planned on going to the Uffizi Gallery today. . . but then I found out about the 7th annual "Fiera del Cioccolato." Yes, this is. . .

a CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL.

Today was the opening day. We just had to check it out. So we walked down to Piazza Santa Croce, and here is what we saw.

See those white tents? Under those are about 25 different little stands with chocolatiers from all over the country (maybe even surrounding countries) selling their chocolates. I took a LOT of pictures. Here are a few. . .
Chocolate tools!

Chocolate shoes!

I don't even know what all these are, but I'm drooling

I bought 4 truffles, the three in the front: caramel, coconut, and classic; and the one in the far back: dark chocolate

Hannah and I with our truffles (I've eaten 2 so far. Divine.)

Hannah, Me, Kate, and Meghan
There were also lots of chocolate fountains for dipping marshmallows and waffles and fruit-kabobs, chocolate rum and other alcohol, tons of different shaped chocolates, big hunks of chocolate with different things in them, chocolate-covered fruit, nuts, filled chocolates. . .

I bought a total of four truffles, a handful of chocolate-covered almonds, three nougaty chocolates, and three with a creamy lemon filling. Oh, and did I mention there are samples? This was heaven on earth.

BUT WAIT. There's more.

The chocolate festival is here for more than a week. On February 9th, these chocolatiers leave and are replaced by a whole new group of chocolate makers! Boy, did I pick a great place to study abroad.

2 comments:

  1. That is amazing! Who doesn't love chocolate? It looks beautiful there. Doesn't seem to have the 20 inches of snow we have. Glad you're loving it there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the picture of the tools on the SommererFamily website and couldn't figure our what they were made of....they sorta look like clay.....that is soo cool that they are chocolate! I could become a tool expert with those!

    ReplyDelete