Sunday, February 6, 2011

Museum Musings

This post gives a summary of each of the museums I went to this weekend. The best thing I saw is posted at the end. DON'T skip ahead! But be excited. . .

Museum Number 1

Yesterday (Saturday) I went to the Uffizi Gallery with Hannah, where we met up with the two other Truman girls, Lindsey and Brittany. The four of us got our tickets and climbed up four flights of stairs to begin our tour of the greatest overall collection anywhere of Italian paintings. First, we saw paintings from medieval times, like this Madonna and Child by Giotto,

and similar ones by Duccio and Cimabue. All the medieval paintings were religious and depict scenes from the Bible. We saw the angel telling Mary she would be the mother of Jesus, nativity paintings, and crucifictions of Christ. (Works by Martini and Fabriano) Then we moved on to the Early Renaissance, when non-religious people were first painted. Art in this part of the museum includes paintings by Pollaiuolo, Uccello, and Francesca. Here's one from the Early Renaissance.

Piero della Francesca's "The Duke and Duchess of Urbino"
My absolute favorite part of the museum are the works from the middle of the Renaissance, from 1450 to 1500. Botticelli painted the two works that are, by far, my favorite. Here they are.

Birth of Venus
Allegory of Spring
Unfortunately, you can't take pictures at the Uffizi, so I had to settle for postcards in the giftshop and google images for the ones I'm posting on my blog. After the Botticelli paintings, we saw some really amazing ones by da Vinci and also some sculptures. Because I'm a good Lutheran, I feel obligated to post a picture of another painting found in the Uffizi.

Cranach's "Martin Luther"

Then we reached the one part of the museum where pictures are allowed: a hall of sculptures, with glass windows overlooking the Arno River. We had someone nearby take our picture.

Hannah, Brittany, Lindsey, and Me, representing Truman at the Uffizi!

The High Rennaissance section of the museum was next, with works by Michelangelo, Raphael, and Titian.

Fun fact! This painting, by Michelangelo, was painted for Angelo Doni for 70 ducats. When it was delivered, Doni tried to talk Michelangelo down to 40, but he was offended and took it away, and wouldn't sell it until Doni agreed to pay 140.

Michelangelo, "Holy Family"
I don't want to bore anyone with more Art History lessons, but I did enjoy the Uffizi more than I thought I would. It's much different to see these works of art in person than in a book or online, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what you can find at the Uffizi!

Museum Number 2

Today, I started my Sunday off with a trip to the Duomo museum. (Duomo means House of God.) Here I was allowed to take pictures, so these are straight from my camera to you:

A few of the statues that sat on the Duomo's original facade

Michelangelo designed and carved this centepiece for his own tomb

"Mary Magdalene," one of the many works by Donatello
And now, ladies and gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for. . .

This.

is the SEVERED INDEX FINGER.

of.

JOHN THE BAPTIST.


See that little glass thingy? It's in there!
By far the coolest thing I've seen today. Probably way cooler than anything you've seen today, too. Jealous? Come visit!

Thanks for reading! :)

2 comments:

  1. J.E.A.L.O.U.S.

    Oh, and I STILL have my "Coach" fanny pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danavee, I'm so glad you still have it! With all the tourist-y things I've been doing, I could probably use one... Haha. But only a Coach one would be acceptable.

    ReplyDelete