Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oh, Just Another Trip to the Grocery Store. . .

This morning I slept in after going out last night with the same girls I went to Pisa and Lucca with. The weather this morning was drizzly but due to the excessive amount of carbohydrates I've been consuming, I figured I should probably go for a run. And really, what better place to go for a run than along the beautiful Arno River? I ran for only about 20 minutes before I had splashed in too many puddles and my shoes were wet, and I needed to walk. I headed back home, but before I got there it started really raining, and I ended up running again just to get inside before my ipod was completely soaked. It was a lovely run, though, and I need to do that more often.

After lunch and chocolate and napping, I decided it was time to go buy groceries. I was out of milk and yogurt and fruit and I also needed contact solution. While I was out, I found oatmeal! I hadn't seen it at any of the grocery stores I had been to, yet. Today I went to a HUGE grocery store. (well, huge by Florence standards.) I ended up buying more things than I had on my list, as usual, and I had three pretty heavy bags to carry home. It was a bit of a walk but I thought I'd be back in 10 or so minutes. Yeah, right.

I had noticed quite a few people standing around in the main square near our apartment when I left, and a bunch of people holding signs near the Duomo when I walked by, but I didn't really think anything of it. Little did I know, the crowd grew while I was inside shopping, and it literally took me forever to get home. I was stuck in a GIGANTIC crowd of people. I could barely squeeze my way through the streets, especially with my big bags of groceries. People were taking pictures and videos, clapping, chanting, holding signs, wearing weird costumes. . . It was ridiculous! I thought I'd never make it back home with my groceries and self in tact.

Thanks to Google, I found out what the protests are all about. Click here if you want to read about it. Basically, people (mostly women) are protesting the Prime Minister because he's been accused of some pretty bad things.

I wanted to go to some cute shops I had seen on the way to buy groceries. I figured I'd go back after dropping my stuff off at home. But after nearly being trampled to death by protesters, I think I should probably stay inside the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment